Have you been preparing for a successful Earth Day this whole week? Take a short break from planting trees and spreading awareness to catch up on our new digital media resources with our weekly features roundup.
This week, we’ve covered hot media trends you need to know, DIY mobile tips for small businesses and free alternatives to the now-defunct Picknik. We also have tips for beautifying your Pinterest layout, ways your business can make a big impact even with a small budget, and guidelines for public figures on Twitter. We even have an infographic showing how social media will change the Olympics.
Enjoy this week’s resources.
- Women at Work: Can Startups Level the Playing Field? [INFOGRAPHIC]
A woman’s place in the modern workforce is a hotly debated issue, but despite boardroom disparities, woman-owned startups are growing faster and generating more revenue.
- 5 Ways to Use Pinterest for Recruiting
Pinterest presents an opportunity to reach talent first. Here are tips for using Pinterest to find your next hire.
- Facebook Meets Instagram: What It Means for Your Brand
The Instagram/Facebook combo presents new challenges to — and opportunities for — brands and marketers.
- Want to Improve Your City? There’s an App for That
Graffiti on your building? A broken traffic light? Wind-blown street lamp? Reach your government via smartphone with SeeClickFix to keep your city beautiful and safe.
- How Social Media Will Change the Olympics [INFOGRAPHIC]
How has social media changed Olympics coverage and the fan experience since the 2008 Games? And who are the Games’ most popular athletes?
- 30 Must-Follow Twitter Accounts for Baseball Fanatics
Following these Twitter accounts is a must for baseball fans. From Baseball Prospectus to Brian Wilson’s Beard, it’s all here.
- Which Social Network Should You Use — and When? [INFOGRAPHIC]
What is Facebook best for? How about Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+? This infographic has all you need to know to leverage social networks.
- Pretty Your Pinterest With This New Photo Hack
Following Pinterest’s new design, we’ve discovered an exciting new way to “hack” your boards.
- 20 TV Shows With the Most Social Media Buzz This Week [CHART]
Which TV shows generate the most buzz on social networks? Find out each week from our social TV chart.
- 11 Top Professionals to Follow on Twitter
There are too many great professionals on Twitter to commend them all, but these eleven have become particularly successful influencers.
- Meme Management: Meet the Man Who Reps Internet Stars
So your video went viral. Now what? Ben Lashes has built a career on helping meme creators protect their intellectual property and cash in.
- How Social Media Is Taking Over the News Industry [INFOGRAPHIC]
This infographic sums up just how much people are turning to social media for news instead of using more traditional sources.
- Can Instagram’s Mobile-Only Strategy Work for Other Apps?
In the short year-and-a-half since its launch, Instagram has grown to 30 million users — and did it all without a website.
- 10 Twitter Tips for Public Figures
Whether you represent an A-list celebrity or a public figure, here are ten tips and strategies for how to manage a related Twitter account.
- What if Environmentalism Were as Big as Social Media? [INFOGRAPHIC]
If hundreds of millions of people can rally around networks such as Facebook and Pinterest, what impact would they have rallying around an environmental cause?
- 10 Hilarious Parody News Accounts on Twitter
These 10 Twitter accounts parody major news channels. The headlines may be fake, but the comedy is very real.
- How Green Is Your iPad? [INFOGRAPHIC]
It can be difficult to put in perspective the environmental impact of our electronics. Let’s take a look at how the iPad measures up.
- How George Takei Went From Star Trek to Social Media Superstar
George Takei turns 75 today. While largely famous for playing Mr. Sulu on Star Trek, he has transformed himself into a social media celebrity.
- 10 Ways to Follow 4/20 Culture Online
Whether you want to learn more about the cannabis plant or use an app to find nearby medical marijuana dispensaries, take a peek at these digital resources.
Business & Marketing
- Industry Events: 6 Ways to Make a Big Impact On a Small Budget
Here are a few tried-and-true tips to will help your budget-conscious business shine at conferences, without breaking the bank.
- How to Use Facebook Timeline Without Reworking Your Brand Strategy
Here are nine practical Timeline marketing examples that didn’t require the marketing team to drop everything or hire a team of consultants.
- Tracky: The Most Useful Online Tool You’ll Use At Work Today
Tracky is a social collaborative web app and mobile app that boosts productivity by cutting the Internet clutter.
- How One Startup Sold $6,000 Worth of Charcoal on Kickstarter
The company is taking a 3,000-year-old substance and revolutionizing farms at home and in developing countries — and tech funders are watching.
- Women: Calculate How to Achieve Your Target Salary Online
April 17 was Equal Pay Day, and for working women — who still earn 77% of what their male counterparts do — that meant asking for more.
- How to Stay Focused in a World of Distractions
Mindfulness in business is not something that everyone understands how to achieve. But with a few pointers, it is within reach.
- Microfinance: Why Open Source Means Bigger Impact
Mifos is an open-source, back-end accounting system to track the many loans and payments involved in microfinance.
- 8 Ways to Offer Better Customer Service on Facebook
Are you looking to boost your brand’s likability on Facebook? Check out these eight tips for fool-proof customer outreach.
- How a Blog Became a Sustainable Housing Non-Profit [VIDEO]
By designing and implementing housing improvements, ARCHIVE can bring down rates of tuberculosis, HIV and AIDS. A healthier community means a healthier economy.
- 8 Hot Media Trends You Need to Know
Ready to see the future of media? Check out these eight bleeding-edge trends.
- 7 Surprising Facts About Mobile Shoppers
People are using mobile phones more to shop, but they’re not necessarily doing it the way you’d think.
- 5 Hot New Events in Business, Mobile, Social Media and More
Exciting new events are always added to Mashable‘s Events Board in a variety of industries, and every week, we round up five freshly-posted events that you should definitely add to your calendar. Keep checking the board for the newest listings of conferences, meetings and expos spicing up the tech scene around the world.
- 5 Food Brands Building Social Buzz on a Budget
Here are five food brands that prove social media can be used to build buzz without draining your marketing budget.
- Entertainment in Flux: How Nerdist Stays Ahead of the Curve
From podcast to web show (and maybe even TV?), Chris Hardwick’s Nerdist brand comes in a variety of flavors amid a changing entertainment industry.
- Mobile Advertising: 5 DIY Tips for Small Businesses
The self-service market can be tricky for SMBs. Here are the top 5 DIY mobile advertising tips to help get you started.
Tech & Mobile
- 12 Striking CameraBag App Photos
We asked the Nevercenter team to pick some of their favorite images snapped with the popular CameraBag Mobile app.
- Are Memes Art? [VIDEO]
Are Memes art? PBS Idea Channel seems to think so.
- Turn Your Friends Into Memes With This App
Have you ever wanted to turn someone into a meme? The Memefier App is exactly what you’re looking for.
- 11 Expensive iOS Apps Worth Your Hard-Earned Cash
A few apps in the mobile market are entirely worth their “expensive” price tags. We’ve collected 11 apps worthy of your dollars.
- 12 Free Tumblr Themes to Class Up Your Blog
Need a fresh coat of paint on your Tumblr? These themes are well-designed and 100% free.
- 20 Retro iPhone Covers That Celebrate Vintage Tech
Whether you’re a fan of retro gaming or love the classic chrome looks of old school gadgetry, we’ve got an iPhone case to suit.
- 10 Apps to Keep Your Business Organized
We asked a panel of successful entrepreneurs for the mobile apps that keep them on track. Here are their favorite suggestions.
- RIP Picnik: 7 Free Alternatives for Quick Photo Edits
While we mourn Picnik’s demise, we found seven other online photo editors to help you with quick crops, saturations and touch-ups.
- 10 Google Bombs That Will Live in Infamy
Clever Internet folks have found ways to rig Google search results. We’ve found legendary examples.
- How Streaming Video Is Killing the DVD [INFOGRAPHIC]
Is the DVD going to go the way of the Laserdisc and VHS Tape? This infographic shows how streaming video is dominating the market.